Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Market cross

A Scheduled Monument in Stamfordham, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 55.0431 / 55°2'35"N

Longitude: -1.8799 / 1°52'47"W

OS Eastings: 407771.909001

OS Northings: 572072.388909

OS Grid: NZ077720

Mapcode National: GBR HB93.TZ

Mapcode Global: WHC37.3H2R

Entry Name: Market cross

Scheduled Date: 28 November 1932

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1006576

English Heritage Legacy ID: ND 125

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Stamfordham

Built-Up Area: Stamfordham

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Stamfordham

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle


Market cross, 215m west of Hall.

Source: Historic England


This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 16 May 2016. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

The monument includes a market cross of 18th century situated on Stamfordham village green. The market cross, also known as Butter Cross, is a small square single storey building approximately 4m by 4m in plan. The building is constructed from ashlar masonry and has a slate roof. It has a square pillar at each corner supporting a round arch on each side. The pillars have alternate courses of stone projecting slightly to form banded rustication. The roof retains its original roof timbers and is pyramidal and is topped by a square stone which has a date and worn inscription on a shield on its east side, a sundial on the south side and blocked arches on the remaining two sides. The square stone also has a small pyramidal roof topped with a ball finial and vane. The market cross was constructed in 1735. It is a listed building Grade II.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

A market cross was a structure used to mark a market square. As such it was a central point important in any village or town. The Market cross, 215m west of Hall is well-preserved and the structure is intact including its original roof timbers. The structure of the monument and the ground beneath it will contain archaeological information relating to its construction and use.

Source: Historic England


PastScape Monument No:- 20836

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.