Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bell tower or clock tower

A Scheduled Monument in Morpeth, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1675 / 55°10'2"N

Longitude: -1.6911 / 1°41'28"W

OS Eastings: 419773.247942

OS Northings: 585951.158279

OS Grid: NZ197859

Mapcode National: GBR J8MP.ND

Mapcode Global: WHC2Q.ZCVW

Entry Name: Bell tower or clock tower

Scheduled Date: 18 June 1946

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1006566

English Heritage Legacy ID: ND 110

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Morpeth

Built-Up Area: Morpeth

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Morpeth

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Summary

Clock tower, Oldgate.

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 12 May 2016. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

This monument includes a clock tower of 17th-18th century date, known as Clock House, situated on Oldgate, Morpeth. The tower is square in plan measuring roughly 5.6m by 5.6m and stands to three storeys and a height of approximately 16.4m. The walls are 0.93m thick at basement level. The tower is constructed from square stone blocks. On its east side there is a two-leaf boarded door in a Tudor-arched surround. The first floor has a round-arched recess, above which bears an inscription recording repairs in 1760. The clock is situated on the second floor and the bells on the third floor. The west side has outside stone steps leading to the first floor and the small cusped head of a 14th century window. The tower is topped by a parapet with moulded coping and with stone figures in 18th century dress, which stand on each corner
The lower portion of the tower was constructed in the 14th-15th century. It was heightened to its current height in the 17th century. The clock is believed to have been bought from Bothal Castle and the bells were given in about 1705. The lowest floor was used as a prison until the early 19th century. The clock tower is a listed building Grade II*.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

The clock tower on Oldgate is a central landmark building in Morpeth and a well preserved example of a post-medieval clock tower with few later alterations. The lower portion of the tower is medieval and provides insight into the medieval history of the town. The structure of the monument will contain archaeological information relating to its construction and use and provides insight into the use of post-medieval municipal buildings.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
PastScape Monument No:- 23223

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.