Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Devil's Ditch, section extending 960yds (870m) south of Lavant House

A Scheduled Monument in Lavant, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8659 / 50°51'57"N

Longitude: -0.7914 / 0°47'29"W

OS Eastings: 485145.105873

OS Northings: 108077.141111

OS Grid: SU851080

Mapcode National: GBR DGC.QQ6

Mapcode Global: FRA 967T.7HJ

Entry Name: Devil's Ditch, section extending 960yds (870m) S of Lavant House

Scheduled Date: 24 January 1935

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1005876

English Heritage Legacy ID: WS 80

County: West Sussex

Civil Parish: Lavant

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Lavant St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Summary

An 870m length of Devil’s Ditch running WSW from Centurion Way toward Little Tomlins Copse.

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 27 October 2014. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

The monument includes an 870m length of Devil’s Ditch, also known as the Devil’s Dyke, a prehistoric linear boundary surviving as an earthwork and below-ground archaeological remains. It is situated on flat ground south of Lavant Park Farm.

The earthwork is denoted by a bank with a ditch on the north side. It runs WSW from Centurion Way, passing south of Lavant Park Farm, until it reaches a road north of Little Oldwick House. The bank and ditch is substantial to the west but the central section is partially disturbed, the ditch having become infilled and the bank denuded. It reappears as a prominent feature further east before fading again. Between 1954 and 1955, a section through the Devil’s Ditch was partially excavated immediately south of Lavant Park Farm.

The Devil’s Ditch in Sussex has been documented by antiquarians since at least the 18th century. It is part of a group of linear earthworks on the gravel plain between the foot of the South Downs and Chichester Harbour. The entrenchments run from Lavant to Boxgrove and appear to enclose the area of the coastal plain to the south. It has been suggested that these marked out a high status, proto-urban tribal settlement (or ‘oppidum’) preceding the Roman invasion. The Devil’s Ditch is thought to date to the Late Iron Age (about 100 BC – AD 43) but was recut and extended in places during the medieval period. The name of the entrenchment is derived from a local tradition, which holds that the ditch was the work of the devil in an attempt to channel the sea and flood the churches of Sussex.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Linear boundaries are substantial earthwork features comprising single or multiple ditches and banks which may extend over distances varying from between less than 1km to over 10km.

They survive as earthworks or as linear features visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs or as a combination of both. The evidence of excavation and study of associated monuments demonstrate that their construction often spans at least a millennium from the Middle Bronze Age, although they may have been re-used later. The scale of many linear boundaries has been taken to indicate that they were constructed by large social groups and were used to mark important boundaries in the landscape; their impressive scale displaying the corporate prestige of their builders. They would have been powerful symbols, often with religious associations, used to define and order the territorial holdings of those groups who constructed them. Linear earthworks are of considerable importance for the analysis of settlement and land use from the Bronze Age; all well preserved examples will normally merit statutory protection.

The 870m length of Devil’s Ditch running WSW from Centurion Way toward Little Tomlins Copse survives relatively well. It will contain archaeological and environmental information relating to the earthwork and the landscape in which it was constructed.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Hamilton, S, Gregory, K, 'Updating the Sussex Iron Age' in Sussex Archaeological Collections, , Vol. 138, (2000), 63 & 66
Other
West Sussex HER 1940 - MWS3239. NMR LINEAR 34. PastScape 1065548

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.