Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Well Chapel (remains of), Bekesbourne

A Scheduled Monument in Bekesbourne-with-Patrixbourne, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2649 / 51°15'53"N

Longitude: 1.1522 / 1°9'8"E

OS Eastings: 620006.72461

OS Northings: 156465.973906

OS Grid: TR200564

Mapcode National: GBR TYC.Q3L

Mapcode Global: VHLGN.XGHQ

Entry Name: Well Chapel (remains of), Bekesbourne

Scheduled Date: 18 March 1965

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1005154

English Heritage Legacy ID: KE 144

County: Kent

Civil Parish: Bekesbourne-with-Patrixbourne

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Summary

Well Chapel, 295m SSW of Well Court Cottages

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 19 June 2014. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

The monument includes a medieval chapel surviving as upstanding and below-ground remains. It is situated on low-lying ground close to the head springs of the Little Stour, south-west of Littlebourne. The chapel is built of flint rubble with ragstone dressings. It is a single cell chapel, which is orientated broadly east-west. The building is rectangular in plan, about 18m long and 7m wide externally. The walls survive up to about 5m high and average about 0.7m wide. It has stone quoins and window embrasures. A plinth survives along the south wall, at the west ends and for a short distance along the north wall. In the south wall are the remains of part of a piscina and on the inside of the south and west wall are remains of wall plaster.

Well Chapel was founded prior to 1300 and served the nearby manor house known as Well Court.

It was also a Chapel of Ease for the surrounding community. Repairs were carried out to the building in 1535. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries, it was used for agricultural storage and a weavers’ workshop before falling into ruin.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

A medieval chapel is a building, usually rectangular, containing a range of furnishings and fittings appropriate for Christian worship in the pre-Reformation period. Chapels were designed for congregational worship and were generally divided into two main parts: the nave, which provided accommodation for the laity, and the chancel, which was the main domain of the priest and contained the principal altar. Around 4000 parochial chapels were built between the 12th and 17th centuries as subsidiary places of worship built for the convenience of parishioners who lived at a distance from the main parish church. Other chapels were built as private places of worship by manorial lords and lie near or within manor houses, castles or other high-status residences. Some chapels possessed burial grounds. Unlike parish churches, the majority of which remain in ecclesiastical use, chapels were often abandoned as their communities and supporting finances declined or disappeared. Many chantry chapels disappeared after the dissolution of their supporting communities in the 1540s. Chapels, like parish churches, have always been major features of the landscape. A significant number of surviving examples are identified as being nationally important. The sites of abandoned chapels, where positively identified, are particularly worthy of statutory protection as they were often left largely undisturbed and thus retain important information about the nature and date of their use up to their abandonment.

Well Chapel, 295m SSW of Well Court Cottages, is a good example of its type, which survives well with a large amount of upstanding stone remains. The site will contain archaeological and environmental information relating to the construction, use and history of the chapel.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
Kent HER TR25NW3. NMR TR25NW3. PastScape 466323,

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.