Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hall of the Vicars Choral, South Street

A Scheduled Monument in St David's, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7221 / 50°43'19"N

Longitude: -3.5318 / 3°31'54"W

OS Eastings: 291971.549316

OS Northings: 92503.668924

OS Grid: SX919925

Mapcode National: GBR P0.Q5NZ

Mapcode Global: FRA 37H5.FX3

Entry Name: Hall of the Vicars Choral, South Street

Scheduled Date: 10 August 1923

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1003869

English Heritage Legacy ID: DV 87

County: Devon

Electoral Ward/Division: St David's

Built-Up Area: Exeter

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Exeter Cathedral

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Summary

The Hall of the Vicars Choral forming part of a medieval college 140m west of Exeter Cathedral.

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 27 October 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

This monument includes part of a 14th century college situated to the west of Exeter Cathedral on South Street. The college survives as part of a hall of which two walls with two traceried windows and the remains of the door jamb of the Church of St George remain standing. Other features are preserved as buried deposits. The college of the Vicars Choral was founded by Bishop Brantyngham in 1388. The hall was entered from the west side of Cathedral close. The building had been the dining hall of the college. It was oak panelled with a stone fireplace, heraldic and other carved panels and the royal arms of 1629 prior to its partial destruction during World War II. This was as a result of the Baederbeck raids when a fire gutted the building on May 4th 1942 following an air raid.

The Hall of the Vicars Choral is listed Grade II.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

The term college is used to describe a variety of different types of establishment whose communities of secular clergy shared a degree of common life less strictly controlled than that within a monastic order. Although some may date to as early as the tenth century, the majority of English colleges were founded in the 14th or 15th centuries. Most were subsequently closed down under the Chantries Act of 1547. Colleges are extremely rare and are important for understanding ecclesiastical history.

Despite significant losses following the fire in 1942, the Hall of the Vicars Choral will contain important buried archaeological end environmental evidence relating to the college.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
PastScape Monument No:- 448374

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.