Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Juniper Hill earthwork

A Scheduled Monument in Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7561 / 51°45'22"N

Longitude: -2.1008 / 2°6'2"W

OS Eastings: 393136.297569

OS Northings: 206388.845897

OS Grid: SO931063

Mapcode National: GBR 2NV.X9G

Mapcode Global: VH950.J4Q2

Entry Name: Juniper Hill earthwork

Scheduled Date: 30 August 1922

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1003317

English Heritage Legacy ID: GC 15

County: Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Edgeworth St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Summary

Cross dyke 275m south of Monsell Cottage.

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 7 July 2015. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

This monument includes a cross dyke situated on the steep upper eastern slopes of the valley of the Holy Brook. The cross dyke survives as a long bank measuring up to 70m long, 10.6m wide and 2.1m high. Excavations in 1954-6 showed it to have been revetted in stone with an entirely buried eastern side ditch which when excavated measured up to 7.6m wide and 1.5m deep. It has been variously interpreted as a long barrow and ‘camp’ but following excavation is now widely accepted as a cross dyke.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Cross dykes are substantial linear earthworks typically between 0.2km and 1km long and comprising one or more ditches arranged beside and parallel to one or more banks. They generally occur in upland situations, running across ridges and spurs. They are recognised as earthworks or as cropmarks on aerial photographs, or as combinations of both. The evidence of excavation and analogy with associated monuments demonstrates that their construction spans the millennium from the Middle Bronze Age, although they may have been re-used later. Current information favours the view that they were used as territorial boundary markers, probably demarcating land allotment within communities, although they may also have been used as trackways, cattle droveways or defensive earthworks. Cross dykes are one of the few monument types which illustrate how land was divided up in the prehistoric period. They are of considerable importance for any analysis of settlement and land use in the Bronze Age. Very few have survived to the present day.

The cross dyke 275m south of Monsell Cottage survives well and will contain further archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, longevity, territorial and social significance, possible agricultural practices, adaptive re-use and overall landscape context.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
PastScape 117172

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.