This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1708 / 52°10'14"N
Longitude: -4.4663 / 4°27'58"W
OS Eastings: 231439
OS Northings: 255368
OS Grid: SN314553
Mapcode National: GBR D7.5BV9
Mapcode Global: VH3JV.JPQR
Entry Name: Ynys Lochtyn Defended Enclosure
Scheduled Date: 16 July 2008
Source ID: 1262
Cadw Legacy ID: CD275
Schedule Class: Defence
Category: Promontory Fort - coastal
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
The monument comprises the remains of a small defended coastal promontory fort, which probably dates to the Iron Age period (c. 800 BC - AD 43). It is located on a N-facing promontory of land, being girt by vertical sea cliffs on the W, N and E sides. The enclosure encompasses the northernmost part of the promontory and measures 80m N-S by 45m transversely. The rampart was built across the narrowest part on the S side. It comprises a reduced earthen bank measuring 1m in height, 18m in length and 10m in width. The entrance was a simple gap through the centre of the bank. A silted ditch is located immediately S of the bank. A number of circular terraces within the enclosure may mark the location of house platforms.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of later prehistoric defensive organisation and settlement. The site forms an important element within the wider later prehistoric context and within the surrounding landscape. The site is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, building techniques and functional detail. The importance of the site is further enhanced by the group value associated with the hillfort of Pen Dinas Lochtyn (Scheduled Ancient Monument CD071) located 500m to the SSE.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and an area around within which related evidence may be expected to survive. It is an irregular polygon in shape on plan and measures 100m N-S by 45m transversely.