This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9778 / 51°58'40"N
Longitude: -3.2494 / 3°14'57"W
OS Eastings: 314284
OS Northings: 231779
OS Grid: SO142317
Mapcode National: GBR YW.KDNQ
Mapcode Global: VH6BV.MKK4
Entry Name: Trefecca-Fawr Moated Site
Source ID: 1739
Cadw Legacy ID: BR087
Schedule Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The monument consists of two fishponds, used for the rearing, breeding, sorting and storing of fish, dating to the medieval period or earlier. The site is situated just to the N of Trefecca-fawr House and consists of two rectangular ponds at right angles to each other. The northern-most pond is the larger of the two, measuring 70m E/W by 25m N/S, with a wide bank 1m high around three sides, petering out towards the E. At the E end of the pond is a small irregularly shaped island. The smaller pond lies immediately adjacent to the W side of the larger pond and measures 45m N/S by 16m E/W. Leading from the gateway into the field is a slightly raised causeway. The ponds date to at least the 12th century, where they were referred to as 'old ponds' in a deed of 1170 where they were given to Brecon Priory by Roger de Baskerville when his son entered the Benedictine Order.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval aquatic agricultural practices. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.