This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2621 / 52°15'43"N
Longitude: -3.5022 / 3°30'7"W
OS Eastings: 297571
OS Northings: 263719
OS Grid: SN975637
Mapcode National: GBR 9J.ZQD8
Mapcode Global: VH5CX.7DWR
Entry Name: Standing Stone, Llanwrthwl Churchyard
Scheduled Date: 18 March 2011
Source ID: 1353
Cadw Legacy ID: BR419
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Category: Standing stone
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The monument comprises a massive slab of sandstone conglomerate located 2m from the SE corner of the S porch of St Gwrthwl’s Church, in a raised and part-circular churchyard on the floodplain of the Wye. It stands 1.82m above the present level of the churchyard and is an irregular trapezoid in plan, its faces measuring 1.00m (SW), 1.30m (NW), 1.50m (NE) and 0.8m (SE) wide. There is no evidence that the stone was once higher. Whilst the SE face is very flat and may have been worked, there are no signs of any inscription or decoration, suggesting a prehistoric origin. There are surface indications that the churchyard was formerly wholly circular, in which the stone would have been offset to the SW. The form of the churchyard and dedication of the church are indicative of an early medieval establishment.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of prehistoric funerary and ritual practices. It is a rare example of a prehistoric standing stone located within a later ecclesiastical enclosure and has further potential to increase our understanding of the subsequent or continued use of such sites in the early medieval period.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and the area around them within which related evidence might be expected to survive. This is circular in area and 3m in diameter.
Other nearby scheduled monuments