This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8375 / 51°50'15"N
Longitude: -4.6473 / 4°38'50"W
OS Eastings: 217708
OS Northings: 218747
OS Grid: SN177187
Mapcode National: GBR D0.VFWM
Mapcode Global: VH2P1.D2HP
Entry Name: St Canna's Chair
Source ID: 2036
Cadw Legacy ID: PE148
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Category: Inscribed stone
Period: Early Medieval
County: Carmarthenshire (Sir Gaerfyrddin)
Community: Henllanfallteg (Henllan Fallteg)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The monument consists of an inscribed stone, a commemorative monument in the form of a stone which has been inscribed with symbols. It is located in a field to the north west of St Canna’s Church. Originally believed to be from the medieval period it is now considered to be an antiquarian fake produced to argument rituals associated with St Canna’s Well, a holy well formerly located nearby but destroyed in the nineteenth century. The stone is rough block of coarse dolerite measuring c 0.5m x 0.75m x 0.5m into which at the top left on one of the broad faces is lightly inscribed CANV. It was moved to its present location at the south west corner of the field in 1915.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation and practice of medieval Christianity. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. An inscribed stone may be part of a larger cluster of monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments