This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6653 / 51°39'55"N
Longitude: -2.7004 / 2°42'1"W
OS Eastings: 351654
OS Northings: 196517
OS Grid: ST516965
Mapcode National: GBR JL.67FQ
Mapcode Global: VH87M.4DRP
Entry Name: St Arvan's Church Cross-slab
Scheduled Date: 11 March 2011
Source ID: 1327
Cadw Legacy ID: MM355
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Category: Cross-marked stone
Period: Early Medieval
County: Monmouthshire (Sir Fynwy)
Community: St. Arvans
Built-Up Area: St Arvans
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The monument comprises a cross-slab, which probably dates to the late tenth or early eleventh century AD. Found during the restoration of the church during the 1880s, the sandstone cross-slab is now displayed on a free-standing plinth at the W end of the S aisle of St Arvan’s church. The top part including the upper cross arm is missing. The remaining slab was originally in two pieces, but has been re-joined following conservation work and measures 0.91m in height, 0.44m in width and 0.15m in depth. The shaped rectangular stone is decorated on all sides in low relief with plain edge-moulding. The principal face features a Latin ring-cross with square arms and small circular arm-pits set above a central shaft of plaitwork with a vertical series of four panels depicting flying, robed figures to each side. The reverse face features a similar Latin ring-cross to the principal face, but set above an undecorated shaft with vertical panels of interlace to each side. The bottom of the shaft is interrupted by a pair of opposed symmetrical seated figures in profile. The face of one edge is decorated with a vertical band of T-fret.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the early medieval period in Wales (c. AD 400 – 1100) for which this class of monument forms one of the most important sources of evidence. It forms an important element within the wider early medieval landscape, providing important evidence for this formative period of Welsh history, particularly concerning the origins and evolution of Christianity, the development of stylistic traditions and carved stone production.
The area scheduled comprises the remains described. It is square in shape on plan and measures 1m N-S by 1m transversely.