This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2747 / 53°16'28"N
Longitude: -4.087 / 4°5'13"W
OS Eastings: 260929
OS Northings: 377328
OS Grid: SH609773
Mapcode National: GBR JN81.JL4
Mapcode Global: WH53W.6Y1G
Entry Name: Site of Friary at Llanfaes
Scheduled Date: 22 April 1998
Source ID: 897
Cadw Legacy ID: AN134
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
County: Isle of Anglesey (Ynys Môn)
Community: Beaumaris (Biwmares)
Traditional County: Anglesey
The monument consists of the remains of a friary, probably dating to the medieval period. A friary is a house specifically for men and of chiefly mendicant religious orders (those who took a vow of poverty and who depended for their survival on the goodwill of the people to whom they preached). The friary was founded in about 1237 by Llywelyn ap Iorwerth. It had strong associations with the Princes of Gwynedd throughout the 13th century, and was the final resting place of Joan, wife of Llywelyn ap Iorwerth and daughter of King John of England and of Eleanor de Montfort, wife of Llywelyn ap Gryffydd. The friary drew support from the thriving medieval town of Llanfaes before it came to an abrupt end in 1303 when Edward I moved the inhabitants to Newborough.
Excavation in 1992 identified burials associated with the friary and more recent documentary research has set the friary church into its wider settlement context. In particular it has been possible to define the extent of the friary precinct to the south.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval ecclesiastical organisation and for its historical associations, the proven survival of ancillary features and the strong probability that the foundations of the church itself survive beneath the present ground surface. This may be expected to contain archaeological information in regard to chronology, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area extends from the front of the more recent building known as The Friars" in the north
Other nearby scheduled monuments