This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3868 / 53°23'12"N
Longitude: -4.3435 / 4°20'36"W
OS Eastings: 244241
OS Northings: 390331
OS Grid: SH442903
Mapcode National: GBR HMNR.753
Mapcode Global: WH427.74XG
Entry Name: Parys Mountain: Windmill, Engine House, Precipitation Pits and Great Opencast
Scheduled Date: 7 October 1991
Source ID: 252
Cadw Legacy ID: AN111
Schedule Class: Monument
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
County: Isle of Anglesey (Ynys Môn)
Traditional County: Anglesey
4 elements - Windmill tower (A), engine house (B), precipitation pits (C) and Great Opencast (D).
Work began on Parys Mountain copper mine about 1765, though there are traces of prehistoric and Roman mining. Opencast mining ceased about 1800, though underground work continued until about 1880. The precipitation pits, engine house and windmill (which assisted a nearby steam engine in pumping a mine work) are probably nineteenth century in date.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge the mining industry. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structures themselves may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments