This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2187 / 53°13'7"N
Longitude: -4.1813 / 4°10'52"W
OS Eastings: 254457
OS Northings: 371291
OS Grid: SH544712
Mapcode National: GBR 5M.1BS9
Mapcode Global: WH546.RC3B
Entry Name: North Weir and Smoke Tower, Ynys Gorad Goch
Source ID: 258
Cadw Legacy ID: AN096
Schedule Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Category: Fish weir
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
County: Isle of Anglesey (Ynys Môn)
Community: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll
Built-Up Area: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll
Traditional County: Anglesey
Ynys Gorad Goch consists of two small islands, the larger one containing a house and the smaller a rectangular building with a smoke tower at one end; the two islands are linked by a stone causeway.
Two stone walls (the weirs) curve round the SE and NW sides of the islands, forming funnel-shaped areas into which fish are swept when the tide is flooding. The fish were retained in the traps by the force of the tide and by upward-sloping grilles situated across the narrow openings. When the tide fell, the water escaped through holes in the S wall, leaving the fish stranded in a small pool, where they were netted from stone walk-ways. Surmounting the wall is a concrete railing imitative of an earlier wooden railing. The present fish traps appear to be of early 19th century date, although fishing has been carried out on this site at least since the 16th century.
The smoke tower is probably of early 19th century date, and was used for smoking the catch. The tower is nearly square, set at the NW end of a rectangular building which has an extension (possibly of the mid 19th century) on the SW. The rectangular building measures 5.5 m by 3.8 m, with walls 0.5 m thick; it has a slate roof with modern timbers. There is one door in the SE gable and another in the SW side, leading into the extension. There is a window in the NE wall. The tower measures 1.8 m by 1.5 m, also with a slate roof, but with a hole in the top and a vent above, to let the smoke out. The extension is the full length of the rectangular building and about 2.7 m wide, with a two-seater privy at the W corner.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of post-medieval fish and production industries. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structures themselves may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques.
The scheduled area comprises the smoke tower and building and three-quarters of the Anglesey (NW) weir, which was rebuilt in 1924.
Other nearby scheduled monuments