This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2561 / 52°15'21"N
Longitude: -3.0766 / 3°4'35"W
OS Eastings: 326606
OS Northings: 262533
OS Grid: SO266625
Mapcode National: GBR B3.ZTG5
Mapcode Global: VH771.MKCC
Entry Name: Mound & Bailey Castle 360m ESE of St Peter's Church
Source ID: 1927
Cadw Legacy ID: RD058
Schedule Class: Defence
Community: Old Radnor (Pencraig)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
The monument comprises the remains of a motte and ditch, dating to the medieval period (c. 1066 -1540 AD). A motte is a large conical or pyramidal mound of soil and/or stone, usually surrounded by either a wet or dry ditch, and surmounted by a tower constructed of timber or stone. This site, also known as Dunn’s Lane Motte, stands on a gentle south-west facing slope and is c.20m in diameter at the base and c.2.8m high, with a summit c.10m across. It is surrounded by a ditch c.3m wide and c.0.6m deep, which is open on the south side to a marshy area retained by a massive earth dam measuring at least 4m high. This once held back the two streams that converge on the site either side of the motte and filled the ditch with water. There are no clear signs of any bailey.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval defensive practices. The monument is well-preserved and an important relic of the medieval landscape. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of both structural evidence and intact associated deposits.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments