This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6194 / 51°37'9"N
Longitude: -4.1517 / 4°9'6"W
OS Eastings: 251132
OS Northings: 193365
OS Grid: SS511933
Mapcode National: GBR GS.YYS1
Mapcode Global: VH4K6.0K0G
Entry Name: Llanelen Chapel Site
Source ID: 139
Cadw Legacy ID: GM376
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
County: Swansea (Abertawe)
Community: Llanrhidian Lower (Llanrhidian Isaf)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The monument comprises the remains of a small medieval chapel. The chapel has a traditional foundation in the 6th century and the dedication is to Helena, wife of Maximus killed AD 388. The present building is of 11th or 12th century date. The foundations of the chapel stand on a platform some 40m x 18m cut into the hillside. The main part of the building measures 10m x 5.5m and at the east end is a narrow chancel 4m in length. To the east of the platform is a rectangular stone building presumably a dwelling house.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation and practice of medieval Christianity. The site forms an important element within the wider medieval landscape. The site is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, layout, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments