This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.912 / 51°54'43"N
Longitude: -4.7883 / 4°47'17"W
OS Eastings: 208318
OS Northings: 227387
OS Grid: SN083273
Mapcode National: GBR CT.PNZF
Mapcode Global: VH2NK.Y6HM
Entry Name: Inscribed Stones outside Ruined Church of St Teilo (now in Maenclochog Church).
Source ID: 3700
Cadw Legacy ID: PE146
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Category: Cross-marked stone
Period: Early Medieval
County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)
Built-Up Area: Maenclochog
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The monument consists of a two stones one with a cross carved into the surface, probably dating to the medieval period which were placed inside the church in 1959. The taller of the stones is 2m high, 0.5m wide and 0.4m in depth and has been inscribed with a Latin type cross, the ends of which are forked. This stone also has the Roman inscription: ANDAGELLI IACIT FILI CAVETI. (The stone of Andagellus, son of Cavetus :he lies (here)). Also on left hand edge on front is an inscription in Ogham; (A)ndagelli macu cav(eti). The smaller stone is 1m high, 0.5m wide and 0.50m deep, this also has a Roman inscription, Coimagni Fili Caveti (The stone of Coimagnus, son of Cavetus.)
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation and practice of medieval Christianity. A cross marked stone may be part of a larger cluster of monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described.
Other nearby scheduled monuments