This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0448 / 52°2'41"N
Longitude: -4.5237 / 4°31'25"W
OS Eastings: 227022
OS Northings: 241491
OS Grid: SN270414
Mapcode National: GBR D5.F8LC
Mapcode Global: VH2MY.JVVV
Entry Name: Inscribed Stone in St Llawddog's Churchyard, Cenarth
Scheduled Date: 24 September 1947
Source ID: 2106
Cadw Legacy ID: CM072
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Category: Inscribed stone
Period: Early Medieval
County: Carmarthenshire (Sir Gaerfyrddin)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The monument consists of an inscribed stone, a commemorative monument in the form of a stone which has been inscribed with symbols, probably dating to the medieval period. Also known as the Gellidywyll Stone, the monument comprises an inscribed stone in St Llawddog's churchyard, Cenarth, which probably dates to the 5 - early 6th centuries AD. The rough pillar-shaped stone is located SW of the church near to the porch. The stone was moved to its current location in 1896. The stone is aligned NNW-SSE and measures 1.5m in height, 0.7m in length and 0.47m in width. It is triangular in cross-section and possesses tapering sides that rise to a rounded top. A Latin inscription in Roman capitals, which reads CURCAGNI / FILI ANDAGELLI, is inscribed in two vertical lines on the flattened SW face.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of early medieval religious and funerary practices. The stone's importance is enhanced by its epigraphic content, which remains clearly incised.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.