Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Inscribed Stone in outer face of wall of St Michael's Church (now in Llandissilio Church)

A Scheduled Monument in Llandissilio West (Gorllewin Llandysilio), Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.863 / 51°51'46"N

Longitude: -4.7324 / 4°43'56"W

OS Eastings: 211953

OS Northings: 221801

OS Grid: SN119218

Mapcode National: GBR CW.SYL8

Mapcode Global: VH2NS.XFJN

Entry Name: Inscribed Stone in outer face of wall of St Michael's Church (now in Llandissilio Church)

Scheduled Date: 25 September 1947

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 2764

Cadw Legacy ID: CM068

Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Category: Cross-marked stone

Period: Early Medieval

County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)

Community: Llandissilio West (Gorllewin Llandysilio)

Built-Up Area: Llandissilio

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Description

The monument consists of an inscribed stone, a commemorative monument in the form of a stone which has been inscribed with symbols, probably dating to the medieval period. Also known as the Carantacvs Stone, the monument comprises an inscribed stone now located within St Tysilio's church, Llandissilio. It probably dates to the 6th century AD. The stone was re-discovered in 1889 and built into the blocking of the W door in the ruins of St Michael's church, Egremont, Clynderwen. It was scheduled in 1947. In January 1960, it was moved to its present location. The stone is currently mortared into the floor next to the internal face of the N wall of the nave, adjacent to the pulpit. The stone measures 1.22m in height, 0.4m in length and 0.2m in depth. The faint Latin inscription CARANTACVS is inscribed in Roman capitals in a single vertical line and is partly overrun by an inscribed cross.

The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation and practice of medieval Christianity. An inscribed stone may be part of a larger cluster of monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.

The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.

Source: Cadw

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.