Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ffrith y Garreg-Wen Round Barrow

A Scheduled Monument in Whitford (Chwitffordd), Flintshire (Sir y Fflint)

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.273 / 53°16'22"N

Longitude: -3.2973 / 3°17'50"W

OS Eastings: 313581

OS Northings: 375899

OS Grid: SJ135758

Mapcode National: GBR 5ZDL.XF

Mapcode Global: WH76J.BZ2Q

Entry Name: Ffrith y Garreg-Wen Round Barrow

Scheduled Date:

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 3094

Cadw Legacy ID: FL110

Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Category: Round barrow

Period: Prehistoric

County: Flintshire (Sir y Fflint)

Community: Whitford (Chwitffordd)

Traditional County: Flintshire

Description

From Williams 1921: It is one of a line of round barrows which runs alongside the main road from Holywell to St Asaph, suggesting it to be on the route of an ancient trans-plateau trackway.

A menhir, 'Maen Pen Melyn', was recently removed to Rhyl from the NW corner [of the heath] [SS 1307 7588 - 500m W on Whitford/Caerwys parish boundary].

From Ellis Davies 1949: The tumulus ... is situated ... in a large enclosure known as Ffridd-y-Garreg-Wen, formerly used as a training ground for racing on the Holywell Racecourse. The mound is about 150 yds S from the Holywell-St Asaph road...

Before excavation in 1921, the tumulus was undisturbed... After the excavation [it] was restored as nearly as possible to its original form.

Tim Morgan's 1986 visit text: Turf covered mound, its centre 50m S of the perimeter of the A55 new Holywell by-pass, with extensive views over a shallow bowl-shaped valley to the S and W. It stands on the edge of a slight plateau; the field showing a few traces of limestone outcropping through the turf. Its top is somewhat flattened and irregular, but it is almost circular in plan. Diameter N-S 18m, W-E 19.5m. Height from N 1.0m, from E 1.6m, from W 1.3m and from the S side 1.9m. Complete excavation revealed at least 3 stages of burial, mostly within a hollow formed by a natural limestone shelf, with a wide variety of finds - including earthenware pots, a bronze dagger, a bronze pin, a stone pendant of Ludlow Shale, and flints (scrapers and arrowheads). In 2 or 3 places the turf is broken.

Source: Cadw

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.