This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.294 / 53°17'38"N
Longitude: -3.2817 / 3°16'54"W
OS Eastings: 314665
OS Northings: 378215
OS Grid: SJ146782
Mapcode National: GBR 5ZJB.9X
Mapcode Global: WH76J.KGHL
Entry Name: Downing Hall Inscribed Stone (now in Whitford Church)
Source ID: 2828
Cadw Legacy ID: FL013
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Category: Inscribed stone
Period: Early Medieval
County: Flintshire (Sir y Fflint)
Community: Whitford (Chwitffordd)
Traditional County: Flintshire
The monument consists of an inscribed stone, a commemorative monument in the form of a stone which has been inscribed with symbols, probably dating to the medieval period. The Downing Hall inscribed stone is a triangular block of stone inscribed hic iacit mulier bona nobili". The original location of the stone is uncertain. It was moved to Dowing Hall by Pennant before 1798.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation and practice of medieval Christianity. It retains significant archaeological potential
Other nearby scheduled monuments