This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7604 / 51°45'37"N
Longitude: -3.5704 / 3°34'13"W
OS Eastings: 291710
OS Northings: 208025
OS Grid: SN917080
Mapcode National: GBR HD.0BM5
Mapcode Global: VH5GD.209S
Entry Name: Dinas Silica Mine
Scheduled Date: 26 March 2002
Source ID: 167
Cadw Legacy ID: BR229
Schedule Class: Transport
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The monument consists of the remains of a mine complex, dating to the 19th century. The mine was associated with the production of silica furnace bricks, which were invented locally in the 1820s. The bricks became known generically by the word 'Dinas' throughout much of the world. The quartzite or silica workings were owned by Richard, Thomas and Baldwins Limited, who transported the raw materials via a tramroad to Landore in Swansea for the manufacture of the refractory bricks. The remains within the scheduled area include quarries, mine entrances into pillar and stall workings, the silica processing plant, tramroads, an aerial ropeway and a powder store. The quarries in the vicinity of the tramroad were operational in the 19th century. Underground mining took place from after about 1903 until the mine closed in 1964.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of mining practices. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments