This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2337 / 52°14'1"N
Longitude: -3.6341 / 3°38'2"W
OS Eastings: 288500
OS Northings: 260762
OS Grid: SN885607
Mapcode National: GBR YC.1F6P
Mapcode Global: VH5D0.Y3NY
Entry Name: Dalrhiw Lead Mine
Scheduled Date: 10 June 1997
Source ID: 3687
Cadw Legacy ID: BR231
Schedule Class: Industrial
Category: Lead mine
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
Community: Rhayader (Rhaeadr Gwy)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The monument comprises the remains of a 19th century lead mine including its water-management and transport systems, extraction and dressing processes with their power systems. It was established by the Dalrhiw Company in 1851 and was in operation for about thirty years. The mine is built onto a slope to the south of the Rhiwnant, the processing of the ore being assisted by gravity. The main shaft is at the top of the site, linked to the stream by a drainage adit. The remains also include a horse whim circle, stone lined bob pit, water wheels and pits, pumping gear, ore bins, crusher house, crusher house wheel pit, stone slab floor connected with jigs, mine office, trackways and leats.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance and illustrate our knowledge and understanding of mining technology from a single period. Lead mines may be part of a larger cluster of industrial monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value. The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments