This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1826 / 52°10'57"N
Longitude: -3.238 / 3°14'16"W
OS Eastings: 315454
OS Northings: 254542
OS Grid: SO154545
Mapcode National: GBR YW.4PGK
Mapcode Global: VH69W.TDKN
Entry Name: Cwm-Twrch Medieval Settlement
Scheduled Date: 26 July 1999
Source ID: 1573
Cadw Legacy ID: RD165
Schedule Class: Domestic
Category: Deserted Rural Settlement
Community: Glascwm (Glasgwm)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
The monument consists of the remains of a deserted rural settlement, probably dating to the medieval or post-medieval period. Four or more earthern platforms with evidence of stone foundations and associated enclosures or small earth banked pens are located along the prevailing contours of the land rather than in the more usual manner of perpendicular with the slope. The platforms average 18 x 6m in size and are separated by earth banks standing up to 1m in height.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval or post-medieval settlement organisation. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. A deserted rural settlement may be part of a larger cluster of monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments