This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7806 / 51°46'50"N
Longitude: -4.5329 / 4°31'58"W
OS Eastings: 225370
OS Northings: 212136
OS Grid: SN253121
Mapcode National: GBR D5.Z08V
Mapcode Global: VH2P9.CHZV
Entry Name: Cwm-Brwyn Roman Site
Scheduled Date: 7 July 1951
Source ID: 2137
Cadw Legacy ID: CM139
Schedule Class: Monument
County: Carmarthenshire (Sir Gaerfyrddin)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The monument comprises the remains of a building complex and associated enclosure dating to the Romano-British period (c. AD 70 - 410). Set at the crest of east-facing slopes it comprises a roughly rectangular area with rounded corners enclosed by a bank and ditch, about 40m north-south by 30m with a 6m wide gateway of distinctive ‘romanised’ form on the east. Partial excavation in 1906 showed that the original ditch was probably V-shaped, c 5.2m wide and 2.4m deep. The gateway had stone walls but the bank was built largely of earth. Uncovered at the western end of the enclosure were the foundations of a stone built, or founded, north to south building range together with the remains of a small bath building and indications of other timber buildings, finds were from the 2nd and early 4th century AD.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of Romano-British rural settlement and socio-economic organisation. The feature forms an important element within the wider context of Romano-British society in Wales and retains significant archaeological potential.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments