Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cwm Berwyn Camp

A Scheduled Monument in Glascwm (Glasgwm), Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1841 / 52°11'2"N

Longitude: -3.3578 / 3°21'27"W

OS Eastings: 307266

OS Northings: 254847

OS Grid: SO072548

Mapcode National: GBR YQ.4HRX

Mapcode Global: VH69T.RC7K

Entry Name: Cwm Berwyn Camp

Scheduled Date:

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1958

Cadw Legacy ID: RD123

Schedule Class: Defence

Category: Hillfort

Period: Prehistoric

County: Powys

Community: Glascwm (Glasgwm)

Traditional County: Radnorshire

Description

The monument comprises the remains of a defended enclosure, which probably dates to the Iron Age period (c. 800 BC - AD 74, the Roman conquest of Wales). Inland promontory forts are usually located on a ridge or spur with steep slopes on 2 or 3 sides, and artificial ramparts on the level approaches. Alternatively they may have been constructed on a promontory above the confluence of two rivers, or in the bend of a meander. Cwm Berwyn Camp occupies a south-eastward facing promontory and is protected by very steep natural slopes on the east, south and west, and by artificial defences running across the saddle at the north and north-west. The defences consist of an inner bank with an inner construction hollow, external ditch and counterscarp bank, beyond which there is a gap of c.12m to the outer bank and ditch. The inner bank stands c.1.2m high internally but up to c.5m externally, while the outer bank is c.0.6m high internally and c.1.7m high externally. Both lines of defence run across the promontory but the inner earthwork is more securely anchored against steep slopes or scarps at both ends. The simple entrance arrangements lie towards the west of the two lines of defence. The enclosed area measures c.75m by c.75m, and contains possible traces of numerous hut platforms, each about 5m in diameter.

The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of later prehistoric defensive organisation and settlement. The site forms an important element within the wider later prehistoric context and within the surrounding landscape. The site is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, building techniques and functional detail.

The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.

Source: Cadw

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.