This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9695 / 51°58'10"N
Longitude: -4.323 / 4°19'22"W
OS Eastings: 240519
OS Northings: 232663
OS Grid: SN405326
Mapcode National: GBR DF.L4CG
Mapcode Global: VH3KX.0RYK
Entry Name: Crugiau Fach Round Barrows
Scheduled Date: 5 July 1951
Source ID: 2782
Cadw Legacy ID: CM116
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Category: Round barrow
County: Carmarthenshire (Sir Gaerfyrddin)
Community: Cynwyl Elfed
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The monument comprises the remains of two round barrows, which probably date to the Bronze Age (c. 2300 - 800 BC). They are located within an enclosed field of rough pasture on a hill summit and overlook the Afon Duad and Nant Aeron valleys to the W and E respectively. Barrow 'A' is the best preserved and measures 1.3m in height and 23m in diameter. It is oval in shape on plan. Small blocks of white quartz protrude through the turf covering. Barrow 'B' is located 100m upslope to the SW. It is round in shape on plan and measures 24m in diameter. The turf-covered mound has been disturbed and measures 1.5m in height.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of prehistoric burial and ritual practices. It is an important relic of a prehistoric funerary and ritual landscape and retains significant archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of both intact ritual and burial deposits, together with environmental and structural evidence, including buried prehistoric land surfaces. The importance of the monument is further enhanced by the group value it shares with adjacent barrows.
The areas scheduled comprise the remains described and areas around within which related evidence may be expected to survive. Both scheduled areas are circular and measure 33m in diameter.
Other nearby scheduled monuments