This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8792 / 51°52'45"N
Longitude: -3.1265 / 3°7'35"W
OS Eastings: 322554
OS Northings: 220672
OS Grid: SO225206
Mapcode National: GBR F1.RT93
Mapcode Global: VH6CH.R1J6
Entry Name: Crug Hywel Camp
Source ID: 1763
Cadw Legacy ID: BR128
Schedule Class: Defence
Community: Crickhowell (Crughywel)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The monument comprises the remains of a hillfort, which probably dates to the Iron Age period (c. 800 BC - AD 74, the Roman conquest of Wales). The fort comprises a roughly triangular univallate enclosure that occupies the whole of the summit of a small hill on a spur extending from the the southern side of Pen Cerrig Calch. There are extensive views along the Usk and Grwyne Fechan Valleys from the site, with a number of the other hillforts in the local area visible from the interior. The enclosure measures 162m NW/SE by 59m NE/SW and is defined by a low earth and stone bank between 0.3m high on the W side and 1.7m high on the E side, which follows the edge of the escarpment. The ground falls sharply away from the outer edge of the bank to the outer ditch around 5m below. The ditch measures around 1.5m-2m wide with a counterscarp bank around 1m high on the inside. There is a lot of fallen rock in the ditch on the W side, eroded from the exposed rock face of the escarpment. Halfway along the E side is a narrow steep-sided slightly inturned entrance, 1.5m wide, 1.5m deep on its S side and 2m deep on its N side. A turf-covered trackway leads N from the entrance and appears contemporary with the fort. On the E side of the interior of the fort, immediately inside the bank, are a number of small square or rectangular platforms. The comprise level areas of turf, cleared of stones, and may be house platforms. There are a number of modern shelters built into the bank of the fort and within the interior.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of later prehistoric defensive organisation and settlement. The site forms an important element within the wider later prehistoric context and within the surrounding landscape. The site is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments