This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.929 / 51°55'44"N
Longitude: -3.3257 / 3°19'32"W
OS Eastings: 308943
OS Northings: 226437
OS Grid: SO089264
Mapcode National: GBR YR.NRQ9
Mapcode Global: VH6C0.9SQ3
Entry Name: Cross-Slab in Church
Source ID: 1760
Cadw Legacy ID: BR122
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Period: Early Medieval
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The monument consists of a free standing cross probably dating to the early medieval or medieval period. The cross-slab stands upright against the South wall of the church (inside), towards the West end, behind a pew. It is 1.1m high and is roughly rectangular, broken across the middle, with pieces of the top and bottom broken off. It is carved on the front and sides, although the carving is extremely worn. On the front there are two figures, male and female, in the top half on either side of a cross, the top of which is missing. On the lower half is geometric and woven interlaced decoration. On one side is similar decoration, on the other a vertical inscription in crude lettering , reading: IOHANNIS MORIDIC SUREXIT HUNC LAPIDEM.
The stone is called the Moridic stone and was put in the church in 1869, having previously been incorporated into the Vicarage as a window sill.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation and practice of Christianity.
A cross may be part of a larger cluster of monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains as described
Other nearby scheduled monuments