This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5885 / 51°35'18"N
Longitude: -4.1961 / 4°11'46"W
OS Eastings: 247956
OS Northings: 190028
OS Grid: SS479900
Mapcode National: GBR GS.1Z2R
Mapcode Global: VH3MX.7B1K
Entry Name: Cross-Slab from Woodlands, Stout Hall (now in St George's Church, Reynoldston)
Scheduled Date: 8 March 1956
Source ID: 3672
Cadw Legacy ID: GM089
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Category: Cross-marked stone
Period: Early Medieval
County: Swansea (Abertawe)
Built-Up Area: Reynoldston
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The monument comprises the remains of a cross-carved stone which probably dates to the ninth century AD. First noted in a small fir coppice near the road in Stout Hall Wood, Reynoldston before 1877, the monument was relocated to St George’s Church in 1977, where it is now erected at the east end of the nave on the north side of the chancel arch. The monument, which is set in a modern base, is carved from sandstone and measures 1.61m in height, 0.33m in width and 0.18m in depth. The principal face is oriented north. It comprises an incised equal-arm cross of 0.25m in diameter with triangular expanded terminals and the suggestion of a connecting incised ring set above incised double-beaded four-strand plaitwork. The reverse face features a cross design that measures 0.38m in height and 0.28m in width. The cross comprises an equal-armed outline cross enclosing a linear cross with an outline horizontal element. It is proposed that the scheduled area be revised so that it corresponds more accurately with the location of the monument.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the early medieval period in Wales (c. AD 400 – 1100) for which this class of monument forms one of the most important sources of evidence. It forms an important element within the wider early medieval landscape, providing important evidence for this formative period of Welsh history, particularly concerning the origins and evolution of Christianity, the development of stylistic traditions and carved stone production.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments