This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8572 / 51°51'26"N
Longitude: -3.1376 / 3°8'15"W
OS Eastings: 321748
OS Northings: 218240
OS Grid: SO217182
Mapcode National: GBR F0.T4BV
Mapcode Global: VH6CH.KLM3
Entry Name: Crickhowell Castle
Source ID: 1754
Cadw Legacy ID: BR111
Schedule Class: Defence
Community: Crickhowell (Crughywel)
Built-Up Area: Crickhowell
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The monument consists of the remains of a castle, dating to the medieval period. The castle, also known as Alisby's castle occupies a vantage point with commanding views along the Usk valley. It originated as a Motte, measuring 60m in diameter and 8m high, and Bailey with timber buildings, probably built by the Turberville family in the 12th century. In 1272 it was rebuilt in stone by Sir Grimbald Pauncefote who married a Turberville heiress. On the summit of the motte a stone shell keep was built, traces of which can still be seen, while the base of the motte was enclosed by a defensive wall with two D-shaped towers on the southern side. The bailey, measuring around 90m by 65m, was enclosed by a curtain wall. A print by Samuel and Nathaniel Buck from 1741 shows the curtain wall with at least 3 round towers along the bailey wall. On the SE side of the Bailey a conjoined double tower was built, comprising one round and one square tower, with crenellations surmounting the top of the square tower. The remains of a further tower were identified during the excavation of a service trench on the W side of the bailey. During the 14th century the castle was refortified by Sir John Pauncefote, great-grandson of Sir Grimbald, following royal command, but it was nonetheless unable to withstand attack from Owain Glyndwr's forces who left it in ruins. The castle was never repaired and was uninhabited by the mid-16th century. The remains of the motte and D-shaped towers, together with the substantial remains of the conjoined towers, still stand on the site, while the bailey area is now occupied by a playground.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval defensive practices. The monument is well-preserved and an important relic of the medieval landscape. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of both structural evidence and intact associated deposits.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments