This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.427 / 51°25'37"N
Longitude: -3.1955 / 3°11'43"W
OS Eastings: 316981
OS Northings: 170455
OS Grid: ST169704
Mapcode National: GBR HX.P8YB
Mapcode Global: VH6FL.KDJD
Entry Name: Cogan Deserted Medieval Village
Scheduled Date: 28 January 2000
Source ID: 1610
Cadw Legacy ID: GM535
Schedule Class: Domestic
Category: Deserted Medieval Village
County: Vale of Glamorgan (Bro Morgannwg)
Built-Up Area: Penarth
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The monument comprises the remains of earthworks, platforms and building footings, representing a deserted village, of probable medieval date. The buildings were set within crofts or gardens, lining both sides of a hollow way. The remains include at least three hut platforms and a possible well or village pond. A mill was situated to the south of the village with associated pond and leat. The village was present in the 12th century when the church of St Peter’s was founded. It flourished until the 15th century but subsequently suffered depopulation and only seven households recorded there in 1673. The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval settlement. The monument forms an important element within the wider medieval context and the scheduled area may be expected to contain a wide range of archaeological information, including chronological detail and evidence in regard to construction techniques and agricultural methods. The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments