This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8135 / 51°48'48"N
Longitude: -4.4941 / 4°29'38"W
OS Eastings: 228171
OS Northings: 215706
OS Grid: SN281157
Mapcode National: GBR D6.WXKP
Mapcode Global: VH3LL.2P04
Entry Name: Claustral Buildings, St Clears Priory
Scheduled Date: 12 September 1997
Source ID: 3658
Cadw Legacy ID: CM290
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
County: Carmarthenshire (Sir Gaerfyrddin)
Community: St. Clears (Sanclêr)
Built-Up Area: St Clears
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The monument consists of the remains of a priory, a monastery governed by a prior or prioress, dating to the medieval period and includes the remains of the Claustral buildings of the Cluniac Priory at St Clears, which was founded between 1147-84. It shows as a rectangular platform in a small paddock to the south of the former priory now parish church and is one of only two Cluniac cells founded in Wales.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval ecclesiastical organisation. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques. The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments