This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.898 / 51°53'52"N
Longitude: -3.2441 / 3°14'38"W
OS Eastings: 314495
OS Northings: 222890
OS Grid: SO144228
Mapcode National: GBR YW.QMXN
Mapcode Global: VH6C7.QKCC
Entry Name: Castell Blaenllynfi
Source ID: 808
Cadw Legacy ID: BR009
Schedule Class: Defence
Community: Llanfihangel Cwmdu with Bwlch and Cathedine (Llanfihangel Cwm Du gyda Bwlch a Chathedin)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The monument consists of the remains of a castle, dating to the medieval period. A castle is a defended residence or stronghold, built mainly of stone, in which the principal or sole defence comprises the walls and towers bounding the site. Some form of keep may have stood within the enclosure but these were not significant in defensive terms and served mainly to provide accommodation. Castell Blain-Llynfi was a stronghold of the de Breos family, but was confiscated in about 1208 by William Marshall, the Earl of Pembroke and given to King John. The King then granted it to Peter Fitz Herbert, but it was recovered by Giles de Breos in 1213.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval defensive practices. The monument is well-preserved and an important relic of the medieval landscape. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of both structural evidence and intact associated deposits.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments