Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cairn and hill fort, White Meldon

A Scheduled Monument in Tweeddale West, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6727 / 55°40'21"N

Longitude: -3.2429 / 3°14'34"W

OS Eastings: 321926

OS Northings: 642836

OS Grid: NT219428

Mapcode National: GBR 52SV.Q9

Mapcode Global: WH6TY.5P02

Entry Name: Cairn and hill fort, White Meldon

Scheduled Date: 28 August 1968

Last Amended: 28 August 2017

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM114

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Prehistoric domestic and defensive: fort (includes hill and promontory fort); Prehistoric ritual and

Location: Peebles

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Tweeddale West

Traditional County: Peeblesshire

Description

David Barclay of H & D Barclay, architect; circa 1902-1903.

Serpentine terrace of 14 houses all similar in style and

detail; fenestration varies slightly in accordance with

width of elevation allowed by curve. Mainly 2-bay elevations.

To right of door, all have 5-light bow window rising from

basement, to 3-light bow dormer with conical slate roof.

Steps oversailing basement to double-leaf panelled door with

oculus fanlight above and glazed sidelights. Tripartite

doorpiece at Nos 11, 12 and 19-24 with polished granite

colonnettes and dwarf pilasters supporting heavy cornice

arching over oculus, with bold keystone. At Nos 13-18 door

flanked by polished granite colonnettes with foliate

corbel-caps supporting moulded archivolt. Bipartite window

above door with extra single-light windows at Nos 11, 12 and

19-24. Sash windows, plate glass, glazing. Many upper sashed

fanlights and sidelights with art nouveau leaded glass. Band

course at eaves timber brackets support widely overhanging

eaves. Alternately bipartite or bow dormers. Red tile

cresting and skews at party walls; decorative skew putts.

Corniced axial stacks, with steeply pitched slate roofs and

platform.

Flank to W (No 24) 3-bay, finely stugged ashlar with polished

dressings. To left, 2-storey 5-light bow window rises to

conical slate roof. Centre bay advanced square 3-light window

of 2-storeys, small gablet dormer.

Solid ashlar parapet to steps and low ashlar wall to

basement.

Particularly elaborate coloured leaded glass panel to

vestibule door of No 11.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

Plans in SR Archives; D of G, 1/8756, 1/9369.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.