Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tobar an-t Sagairt,chapel,Tockmal

A Scheduled Monument in Kintyre and the Islands, Argyll and Bute

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 55.6445 / 55°38'40"N

Longitude: -6.2937 / 6°17'37"W

OS Eastings: 129937

OS Northings: 647356

OS Grid: NR299473

Mapcode National: GBR BFVS.MZD

Mapcode Global: WGYHL.9D76

Entry Name: Tobar an-t Sagairt,chapel,Tockmal

Scheduled Date: 17 October 1963

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM2334

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: chapel

Location: Kildalton

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Kintyre and the Islands

Traditional County: Argyllshire


The building was designed by Alan Burgess Crombie in 1890, with additions and alterations by Wilfrid Fitzalan Crombie in 1909 and further alterations in 1967. It is a 2-storey, 3-bay former drill hall in the Scots Baronial style, approximately T-shaped in plan and is now a community hall (2015). The front part of the building is built of squared and snecked bullfaced red sandstone with polished ashlar dressings, while the hall is of dry-dashed rendered brick. The front elevation of the hall and offices is symmetrical with a string course at first floor level and an eaves course. The central bay has a round arched doorway with an oriel window above and a short, stumpy slated spire with an open iron crown. The slightly advanced outer bays terminate in crowstepped gables with square pyramid-roofed bartizans at the outer corners. There is a decorative cast iron framed shelter to the right with a glazed roof and to the left is a wide arched twin-leafed timber door set back from the main building line that gives direct access to the hall. The lions on either side of the door were sculpted by John William Dods of Dumfries.

There is mainly 4-pane glazing in the upper sashes and single pane glazing in the lower sashes in timber sash and case windows. There are grey slate roofs and chimney stacks with yellow clay cans on the front part of the building, and non-traditional roofing material on the drill hall.

The interior, which was seen in 2015, retains a good late 19th century decorative scheme. The office section has some simple cornices, timber panelled doors and a main staircase with decorative wrought iron balusters. The room above the main entrance has timber boarding to dado height. The hall has a shallow pitched roof supported on delicate wrought iron lattice trusses which are curved at the wallhead and with timber lining and roof lights running much of its length. There is a recessed raised area at the north end which is flanked by pilasters and a decorative plaster frieze above. The doors on either side surmounted by decorative mouldings enclosing panels.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland


No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.