Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pabbay,symbol stone,cross-marked stones,chapel and settlement

A Scheduled Monument in Barraigh, Bhatarsaigh, Eirisgeigh agus Uibhist a Deas, Na h-Eileanan Siar

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 56.8543 / 56°51'15"N

Longitude: -7.569 / 7°34'8"W

OS Eastings: 60676

OS Northings: 787486

OS Grid: NL606874

Mapcode National: GBR 7BPL.ZW6

Mapcode Global: WGV5K.PZW8

Entry Name: Pabbay,symbol stone,cross-marked stones,chapel and settlement

Scheduled Date: 18 May 1925

Last Amended: 24 August 1993

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM941

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Crosses and carved stones: cross-incised stone; Ecclesiastical: burial ground, cemetery, graveyard;

Location: Barra

County: Na h-Eileanan Siar

Electoral Ward: Barraigh, Bhatarsaigh, Eirisgeigh agus Uibhist a Deas

Traditional County: Inverness-shire


The monument consists of a large mound, the site of a chapel, on

which are several cross-marked stones, including one with Pictish-

type symbols, and a deserted farming settlement.

The large mound is approximately 3.5m high. It is recorded that this

was once topped by the foundations of a chapel measuring 10m by 4.5m externally, but only a few scattered stones of this survive. On the

edge of the summit of the mound are two upright slabs with incised crosses. A third cross-slab lies broken at the foot of the mound, to

the W. Near this, on the slope of the mound, lies a much-weathered

stone with symbols: a cross surmounting a "crescent and v-rod" and a curvilinear geometric design. The symbols appear to be of Pictish

type. This stone stood upright in 1895.

To the W of the mound is a roofless dwelling house, measuring 12.0m

by 5.5m externally. This is surrounded by an enclosure. In the S part

of the enclosure stand the remains of two groups of building walls

which represent blackhouses with outbuildings, later converted into sheep-pens.

The area to be scheduled consists of the whole settlement enclosure,

to include the settlement, site of chapel, symbol stone and cross- marked stones and the area between them in which evidence relating to the history of the settlement and the ecclesiastical establishment

may survive. The area is bounded by a line drawn 5m outside the enclosure wall, where this is visible, and elsewhere by two small water-courses and, on the SE side, by the edge of the vegetated area above the beach, as marked in red on the accompanying map. The recent wooden and metal elements forming the sheep-pens in current use are specifically excluded.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland


No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.