Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Durisdeer, Roman fortlet between Dash Cleuch and Kirk Burn

A Scheduled Monument in Mid and Upper Nithsdale, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.3257 / 55°19'32"N

Longitude: -3.7309 / 3°43'51"W

OS Eastings: 290278

OS Northings: 604874

OS Grid: NS902048

Mapcode National: GBR 26DV.2Q

Mapcode Global: WH5V9.NDLM

Entry Name: Durisdeer, Roman fortlet between Dash Cleuch and Kirk Burn

Scheduled Date: 1 April 1924

Last Amended: 16 January 1996

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM670

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Roman: fortlet

Location: Durisdeer

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Mid and Upper Nithsdale

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Description

Later 18th century with later additions and alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan house to SE of U-plan court with octagonal open horse mill to NW and single storey auxiliary building to W. Whinstone rubble with droved ashlar sandstone dressings to house; whinstone rubble to steading with stugged and some droved ashlar dressings.

HOUSE: SE ELEVATION: 3 broadly spaced bays. Later single storey advanced addition to centre, with cornice and parapet. Boarded door to centre with ornamental rectangular fanlight above; windows flanking; window at 1st floor above. Window to each storey of outer bays. NW ELEVATION: lean-to addition to left of centre with boarded door to return SW ELEVATION: window at 1st floor above. Window to centre and to right of centre.

12-pane timber sash and case windows. Slate roof. Brick wallhead stack to SW and NE and left of centre.

INTERIOR: not seen, 1995.

STEADING: single storey. W RANGE, W ELEVATION: rounded corner to SW; 2-leaf boarded gate to covered cattle court. N RANGE, N ELEVATION: 6-bay grouped to left; falling ground, 2 bays to left single storey. Boarded door at 1st floor of bay left of centre, breaking eaves. Window at ground of penultimate bay to left. Boarded door in to outer left. Opening at eaves in bay to inner right. Boarded 2-leaf double door in penultimate bay to right. Opening at eaves in bay to outer right. HORSE MILL: abutting N range at penultimate bay to left. Open mill with whinstone and stugged ashlar dressed piers. Central timber shaft with gear, horse beams and working parts. N RANGE, W ELEVATION: gabled with boarded door to centre at 1st floor with external stair and triangular flight hole opening at gablehead. N RANGE, S ELEVATION: 2 opening cattle courts with wall projecting to centre with roof and troughs to each side. Segmentally-arched opening to each court. Window at ground to right with boarded opening at 1st floor above; split boarded door to outer right. INTERIOR: threshing machine still in place to outer right. E RANGE, E ELEVATION: blank. E RANGE, W ELEVATION: 7-bay. Opening at 1st floor of bay to centre. Split boarded door in bay left of centre. Opening at 1st floor of penultimate bay to left. Boarded door in bay to outer right. Slot window and glazed, vented opening at ground of bay right of centre. Window at 1st floor of penultimate bay to right. Door to outer right. INTERIOR: stable at ground of outer 2 bays to right, with timber hay hecks; trevises and tack gear; sets to floor.

AUXILIARY BUILDING TO W: single storey whinstone and ashlar dressings; variety of sheds, including cart sheds, and bothy to N end.

Slate roof to steading with some 2-pane skylights and metal vents. Slate roof to auxiliary building with brick stack to N. Radial slate roof to horsemill.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as a well-preserved Roman fortlet in a typical location beside a Roman road. It has proven archaeological potential to provide information about the date of use of such fortlets and their detailed construction and re-development over the duration of the Roman presence.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

Maps consulted: Blaeu Berwick (1654). Armstrong ?County of Berwick? (1771). Blackadder Berwickshire (1797). Thomson Berwickshire (1821). John Ainslie, Environs of Edinburgh, Haddington, Dunse, Kelso...etc. (1821). Sharp, Greenwood and Fowler, ?County of Berwick? (1826). Crawford and Brooke, Map embracing extensive portions of the Counties of Roxburgh, Berwick, Selkirk and Midlothian etc. (circa 1843). 1st edition OS map (1857).

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.