Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Framgord, chapel and gravestones

A Scheduled Monument in North Isles, Shetland Islands

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 60.7045 / 60°42'16"N

Longitude: -0.8676 / 0°52'3"W

OS Eastings: 461912

OS Northings: 1202907

OS Grid: HP619029

Mapcode National: GBR S06F.WJM

Mapcode Global: XHF7K.46DL

Entry Name: Framgord, chapel and gravestones

Scheduled Date: 28 December 1953

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM2096

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Crosses and carved stones: cross slab; Ecclesiastical: chapel

Location: Unst

County: Shetland Islands

Electoral Ward: North Isles

Traditional County: Shetland


The monument comprises the remains of a chapel and several gravestones. It was scheduled in 1953, and this rescheduling extends the protected area to include associated gravestones, some of which may be of Norse date

The chapel is oblong on plan, measuring 18m E-W by 6m N-S. The walls are irregularly built and of varying thickness, standing to a maximum height of 1m; they bulge in places and have tumbled at the SW and SE corners. The only opening traceable is an entrance in the centre of the W gable. Internally there are slight indications of cross-walls at 4.7m from the E and at 3.5m from the W end. The chapel also contains, at the E end, a grave marked by a flat graveslab bearing a coat of arms and a barely legible inscription. Although this is locally identified as that of Laurence Bruce of Cultmalindie, the builder of nearby Muness Castle, the initials AB that were formerly recognizable flanking the arms suggest that it may be the grave of his son, Andrew Bruce, who inherited the castle in 1617. The chapel also contains four more recent grave stones and two rude stone grave markers in the middle. In the burial ground, near to the S side of the chapel, lie 6 roughly formed hogback tombstones, known locally as keel-stones, varying in length from 1.5m to 2.5m. One has a stone, possibly marked with a cross, standing upright at the W end.

The area now to be scheduled includes the remains of the chapel and its associated tombstones, as contained within an area measuring 24m E-W by 12m N-S, extending 2m from the N and E walls and 4m from the S and W walls, as shown in red on the accompanying map extract.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland


No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.