Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rinsary, broch and post-medieval farmstead 300m SSW of, Berriedale

A Scheduled Monument in Wick and East Caithness, Highland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 58.1901 / 58°11'24"N

Longitude: -3.5037 / 3°30'13"W

OS Eastings: 311688

OS Northings: 923347

OS Grid: ND116233

Mapcode National: GBR K7Q2.FS3

Mapcode Global: WH5DH.4DTR

Entry Name: Rinsary, broch and post-medieval farmstead 300m SSW of, Berriedale

Scheduled Date: 15 June 1939

Last Amended: 10 May 2000

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM577

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Prehistoric domestic and defensive: broch; Secular: farmstead

Location: Latheron

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Wick and East Caithness

Traditional County: Caithness

Description

The monument comprises the remains of a broch (an Iron Age defended settlement) and surrounding remains of post-medieval date, representing a farmstead. The broch was scheduled, barely adequately, in 1939, but this re-scheduling extends protection to the surrounding, later, remains.

The broch survives as a mound about 16m high. The only stonework clearly visible is to the E, where the outer face of the broch forms the W gable of an elongated rectangular foundation which, with a smaller parallel foundation of similar character, represents the remains of a post-medieval farmstead, perhaps of 18th century date or earlier. There are traces of enclosure walls, one of which links the two rectangular foundations. To the SSW of the broch is a small kiln barn with an attached rectilinear enclosure: these appear later in date than the turf-covered farmstead remains, and are probably early 19th-century.

The area now to be scheduled is four sided, measuring a maximum of 75m NE to SW by between 40m and 65m NW to SE, to include the broch and all of the later remains, as well as an area around them in which evidence relating to their construction and use may survive, as marked in red the attached map. The N boundary lies parallel to and immediately S of the S face of the recent boundary wall which divides heather moor from woodland.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.