Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Logie House, 3 symbol stones 160m west of

A Scheduled Monument in West Garioch, Aberdeenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.3226 / 57°19'21"N

Longitude: -2.4942 / 2°29'39"W

OS Eastings: 370334

OS Northings: 825889

OS Grid: NJ703258

Mapcode National: GBR N96C.G2W

Mapcode Global: WH8NM.N6GR

Entry Name: Logie House, 3 symbol stones 160m W of

Scheduled Date: 31 December 1924

Last Amended: 30 March 1998

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM66

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Crosses and carved stones: symbol stone

Location: Chapel Of Garioch

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: West Garioch

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Description

The monument comprises three carved slabs of whinstone, which formerly lay horizontally near to one another on the Moor of Carden; subsequently they were built into a plantation wall, and eventually they were moved to their present position in the garden of Logie House (or Logie Elphinstone), 160m W of the house. The stones were scheduled in 1924 but the documentation was not adequate to define the extent of the protected area.

The first stone is of an irregular, five sided shape (1.06 x 0.l73 x 0.30m), and bears a crescent and V-rod symbol, and a double disc.

The second stone tapers to a point towards the top (1.37 x 0.76 x 0.45m). It bears an Ogham inscription arranged around a circular stem and below this the crescent and V-rod symbol. There are traces of a double disc symbol, which appears to have been erased to make way for a rod and larger double disc enclosed by the two ornamental bars of a Z-rod but with no diagonal.

The third stone is roughly rectangular (1.06 x 0.7 x 0.18m). An elephant and crescent with V-rod are incised on it.

The subjects to be scheduled include the three symbol stones as described and an area extending 1m around each of them, as indicated in red on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because it represents a significant and well-preserved group of symbol stones, found close to one another and sharing one symbol (crescent and V-rod) in common. Their significance is enhanced by the existence of an Ogham inscription on one of them, and by the recorded existence of a fourth stone (now lost) in 1856. The group contributes to our understanding of the art, society, material culture and beliefs of late Iron Age and early medieval Scotland.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NJ 72 NW 7.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.