Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Herrits Dyke,linear earthwork 2400m north of Greenlaw,Greenlaw Moor

A Scheduled Monument in Mid Berwickshire, Scottish Borders

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7285 / 55°43'42"N

Longitude: -2.4648 / 2°27'53"W

OS Eastings: 370904

OS Northings: 648440

OS Grid: NT709484

Mapcode National: GBR C276.5B

Mapcode Global: WH8XD.38KT

Entry Name: Herrits Dyke,linear earthwork 2400m N of Greenlaw,Greenlaw Moor

Scheduled Date: 28 September 1937

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM371

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Prehistoric domestic and defensive: linear earthwork

Location: Greenlaw

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire

Traditional County: Berwickshire

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

This terrace of 4 single storey cottages was built circa 1886 to house railway workers. They are located just E of the location of Aberfoyle Station (demolished), and their front (S) elevations would have looked directly onto the rail tracks (now a footpath). Although they no longer retain their original windows or doors, they are otherwise relatively unaltered, and are the last remaining buildings connected with Aberfoyle Station, the opening of which in 1885 had a significant impact on the growth of Aberfoyle due to tourism in the late 19th century. The cottages were intended to convey an impression of quality; the use of sandstone for all elevations, rather than the local whin, is virtually unique in the locality.

The principal (S) elevation of the cottages, which overlooked the track, is symmetrical; each of the 3-bay cottages has a central door with a shallow timber gabled porch, detailed with a terracotta ridge finial and a timber pendant. To the flanking bays are tripartite shouldered windows. The cottage at the W end of the row is very slightly advanced to both front and rear and is also the only cottage to have an original central lean-to outshot to the rear, and was perhaps intended for a more senior employee.

The side (E and W) elevations are blank; the simple rear elevations follow the pattern of 2 narrow windows to one side of the door, and a wider window to the other side. No 3 has a modern timber lean-to extension.

Interiors:

Access to the interiors was not gained during the 2005 resurvey.

Materials:

Stugged snecked cream sandstone. uPVC windows. Out of character doors. Pitched roof with overhanging sparred eaves. 2 coped ridge stacks, 1 gable head stack (W), 1 missing.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.