Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dalton, old parish church

A Scheduled Monument in Annandale South, Dumfries and Galloway

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0524 / 55°3'8"N

Longitude: -3.388 / 3°23'16"W

OS Eastings: 311426

OS Northings: 573979

OS Grid: NY114739

Mapcode National: GBR 4BS0.9N

Mapcode Global: WH6XY.X8VM

Entry Name: Dalton, old parish church

Scheduled Date: 10 March 2000

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM8676

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: church

Location: Dalton

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Annandale South

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Description

The monument consists of the remains of Dalton old parish church, alternatively known as Mickle Dalton, Dalton Magna and Meikle Dalton, which is situated on rising ground 40m to the SE of the present parish church of Dalton, which was built in 1895. The parish and church of Meikle Dalton are first documented in 1552 when the patronage of the church passed from Gilbert Grierson of Dalton to Lindsay of Barcloy.

The monument comprises the remains of a post-reformation kirk erected in 1704. It is oblong on plan, measuring 16.6m by 6.4m internally. Its N side and E and W ends are built on the base of the walls of an earlier, probably medieval church. This is shown by a massive plinth or base-course with a plain chamfer, which extends all along the N side of the church, except where it has been cut through for doorways.

The 18th century superstructure of the church is rubble-built and has fine detailing with square-headed windows and doors; their surrounds embellished with V-jointed rustication, which has been similarly applied to the angle quoins. The wall head is surmounted by a simple moulded cornice, fragmentary in places. There are at ground level two doorways in the N wall, which were later converted into windows, one in the E wall and one in the W, both later insertions. In the middle of the S, E and W walls are doorways at a higher level which gave access to galleries. The W gable is surmounted by a birdcage bellcote.

The area to be scheduled includes the church and an area around it, in which associated archaeology can be expected to be found. The area is a rectangle with maximum dimensions of 40m NE-SW and 30m transversely as marked in red on the attached map. All modern burial lairs still in use, within and without the church, are excluded from the scheduling.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.