Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Luffness Friary

A Scheduled Monument in North Berwick Coastal, East Lothian

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0117 / 56°0'42"N

Longitude: -2.8495 / 2°50'58"W

OS Eastings: 347129

OS Northings: 680193

OS Grid: NT471801

Mapcode National: GBR 2P.T7RB

Mapcode Global: WH7TQ.65B5

Entry Name: Luffness Friary

Scheduled Date: 18 May 1936

Last Amended: 14 February 2002

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM759

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: convent

Location: Aberlady

County: East Lothian

Electoral Ward: North Berwick Coastal

Traditional County: East Lothian

Description

The monument comprises the remains of Luffness Convent. The monument was first scheduled in 1936 and did not include structures and features to the north; this rescheduling rectifies this omission.

The monument lies in a wooded area at around 5m OD. It comprises the remains of a Carmelite Friary. It is first mentioned in 1335-6 but may have been founded in the previous century. No references to it have been found after 1512, but lands formerly belonging to it were leased by the crown in 1609. The foundations of the church can be clearly discerned but the associated buildings are hardly visible on the surface. The church measures some 31m by about 8m; its walls are on average about 0.7m wide and about 0.7m high except at the E end on the N side, where the wall is approximately 1.7m high. At this location there is a recess containing an effigy of a knight in late 13th century armour. The position is that normal for a founder's tomb. The effigy suggests that the friary was founded several decades before it first appears on record.

About 80m NE of the church (NT 4718 8025) are the remains of 2 fishponds, consisting of two waterlogged hollows overgrown with weeds. They have a maximum depth of about 1.5m. About 100m E of the fishponds (NT 4730 8026) is a fragment of building, now incorporated into a boundary wall. The fragment consists of the NW angle of a building, the N side being about 0.5m long, the W side about 3m long, and standing about 3.5m high. There are two blocked-up slit windows in the N wall.

The area to be scheduled encompasses the visible remains and an area around them in which traces of associated material may be expected to survive. It is sub-square with maximum dimensions of 190m NNW-SSE and 200m due E-W, as marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.