Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stirling Cairn, cairn 750m south west of Mill of Alvah

A Scheduled Monument in Banff and District, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6302 / 57°37'48"N

Longitude: -2.5494 / 2°32'57"W

OS Eastings: 367287

OS Northings: 860162

OS Grid: NJ672601

Mapcode National: GBR N82K.6T1

Mapcode Global: WH8M1.TG5Y

Entry Name: Stirling Cairn, cairn 750m SW of Mill of Alvah

Scheduled Date: 22 March 2005

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM11035

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Prehistoric ritual and funerary: long cairn

Location: Alvah

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Banff and District

Traditional County: Banffshire

Description

Later 19th century with later alterations. 2-storey, 33-bay group of tenements, with shop accommodation at ground. Polished ashlar at 1st floor, sandstone turnpike staircases to rear, with droved ashlar ressings. Base course, band course between ground and 1st floor, cill course at 1st floor, cornice and blocking course.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: regularly spaced bays at 1st floor, blinded windows to 1st and 9th bays. Entrance to pend in 1st bay; window in 2nd bay, at ground, used as shop window, door in 3rd and 4th bays with rectangular plate glass fanlights above each, window in 5th bay used as shop window; modern shopfront in 6th to 8th bays, No 262; boarded door to 9th bay formerly with plate glass rectangular fanlight above, with (19th century?) wrought-iron ornamental armature from panel between band and cill courses; modern fascia to No 266 with door to centre (11th bay) and windows to flanking bays (10th and 12th bays); glazed door with chamfered shouldered doorpiece to centre of No 268 (14th bay) with basket-arch plate glass fanlight above, windows to flanking bays (13th and 15th bays) within shouldered chamfered architraves; modern flush door as access to rear and turnpikes to 1st floor accommodation, in 16th bay with rectangular plate glass fanlight above; door to centre of No 272 (18th bay) with windows to flanking bays (17th and 19th bays); stop-chamfered doorpiece and architraves to No 274; deep-set door to centre (21st bay) with windows flanking; modern flush door to 23rd bay with plate glass rectangular fanlight above, leading to rear and turnpikes to 1st floor accommodation (No 276); later 19th century cast-iron shopfront to No 278 with deep-set door to centre (25th bay) with plate glass rectangular fanlight above, and large plate glass shop windows, timber shop gate still in situ; modern alterations to ground floor of 27th to 33rd bays.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-storey turnpike staircase to centre of each 3-bay property (not including intermediate pends), No 254-278; later brick and harled additions to rear of Nos 280-282 (No 1A Bellfield Lane) and No 284.

Variety of windows, 12-pane, 8-pane, 6-pane and 2-pane timber sash and case windows; timber plate glass sash and case windows with mock astragals, modern aluminium casement 3-pane windows to No 276, modern timber casement windows to 27th to 29th bays. Grey slate roof; various mutual ridge stacks, mainly rendered and coped.

INTERIOR: not seen, 1994.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its potential to contribute to an understanding of prehistoric funerary and ritual practices. Its importance is increased by its proximity to other monuments of potentially contemporary date. The possible multi-phased nature of this site further enhances its interest.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

Wood's map, 1824. Sutter's map, 1856. 1st edition OS map, 1858. 2nd edition OS map, 1896. Dean of Guild Archives (1965, 1969, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1908, 1982, 1986, 1989, 1990).

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.