Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Mary of the Lowes, churchyard 1200m WSW of Kirkstead

A Scheduled Monument in Selkirkshire, Scottish Borders

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.5011 / 55°30'4"N

Longitude: -3.1824 / 3°10'56"W

OS Eastings: 325405

OS Northings: 623675

OS Grid: NT254236

Mapcode National: GBR 646T.TT

Mapcode Global: WH6VR.2ZTM

Entry Name: St Mary of the Lowes, churchyard 1200m WSW of Kirkstead

Scheduled Date: 8 November 2000

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM9275

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: burial avile/vault

Location: Yarrow

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire

Traditional County: Selkirkshire

Description

The monument consists of a quadrangular walled enclosure containing a burial ground with a range of monuments These monuments include burial enclosures, table tombs, headstones and rough grave markers.

The graveyard is assumed to mark the site of the ancient parish church of St Mary of the Lowes, which is on record by the late thirteenth century, but which was replaced by a more conveniently sited church at Yarrow (or Deuchar) in 1640. The church is likely to have been towards the northern end of the enclosure, where irregularities in the ground surface point to the survival of structural remains.

The area to be scheduled corresponds with the walled enclosure and is an irregular quadrangle aligned from north-north west to south-south-east, measuring 50 metres by 50 metres. It is marked in red on the accompanying map extract.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as the site of one of the principal medieval rural parish churches of the Borders. Although no remains of this church stand above ground, the site has high archaeological potential. There is an added dimension of interest in the wide typological and chronological range of monuments surviving within the graveyard.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

Bibliography:

Cowan, I. (1967) The Parishes of Medieval Scotland, Scottish Record Society.

RCAHMS (1957) Selkirkshire, 34-35.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.