Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Duffus, St Peter's Church and churchyard

A Scheduled Monument in Heldon and Laich, Moray

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.7003 / 57°42'0"N

Longitude: -3.3856 / 3°23'8"W

OS Eastings: 317514

OS Northings: 868670

OS Grid: NJ175686

Mapcode National: GBR L80C.MTH

Mapcode Global: WH6HZ.YQZ8

Entry Name: Duffus, St Peter's Church and churchyard

Scheduled Date: 31 March 1928

Last Amended: 3 March 1999

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM90106

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Crosses and carved stones: cross (free-standing); Ecclesiastical: church

Location: Duffus

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Heldon and Laich

Traditional County: Morayshire

Description

The monument comprises a church, burial ground and watch house of post-Reformation date, and a cross of late medieval date. It is in the care of the Secretary of State for Scotland and is being re-scheduled to clarify the extent of the protected area.

The monument lies at around 50m OD. It comprises the remains of St Peter's Church, Duffus. The church, which is roofless, is set within a burial ground and has been disused since 1866. It is a rectangular structure, built in the 18th century but incorporating portions of much older masonry, including the base of a tower at the W end and on the S a rib-vaulted porch, dating from 1524 and displaying on its keystone the arms and initials of Alexander Sutherland, the rector who built it.

There are external stairs at the N side and E end of the church, which gave access to timber lofts. Lying to the E of the church, within the burial ground, is a small gabled watch house bearing the date 1830. To the S of the church stands a cross measuring about 4.5m high. The shaft is about 0.3m square, standing on the stepped base measuring about 1.5m square.

The area proposed for scheduling comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related material may be expected to be found. It is defined on the E, S and W by the outside face of the stone boundary wall, on the north by the road verge and on the NE by a fence. The area measures overall 100m N-S by 68m E-W, as marked in red on the accompanying map extract.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its potential to contribute to our understanding of medieval and post-Reformation ecclesiastical architecture and religious practices. The importance of the site is reflected in it being chosen as a property in state care.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NJ 16 NE 2 and 3.

References:

Hay, G, 1957, The Architecture of Scottish post-Reformation Churches. Oxford University Press, London.

Shepherd, I, 1986, Exploring Scotland's Heritage, Grampian. HMSO. Edinburgh.

Simpson, W D, 1972, Duffus Castle and Church. HMSO. Edinburgh, 5th impression 1972.

Cross, M, 1994, Bibliography of Monuments in the Care of the Secretary of State for Scotland, 155, Glasgow.
Historic Environment Scotland Properties
St. Peter's Church, Duffus
https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/st-peters-kirk-and-parish-cross-duffus
Find out more
Related Designations


DUFFUS OLD PARISH CHURCH (PETER KIRK), PARISH CROSS, MORTHOUSE AND BURIAL GROUNDLB2307
Designation TypeListed Building (A)StatusRemoved

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.