Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kenmure Castle

A Scheduled Monument in Dee and Glenkens, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 55.0634 / 55°3'48"N

Longitude: -4.1383 / 4°8'17"W

OS Eastings: 263538

OS Northings: 576412

OS Grid: NX635764

Mapcode National: GBR 4X.R1K3

Mapcode Global: WH4V4.DZMQ

Entry Name: Kenmure Castle

Scheduled Date: 10 November 1998

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM7743

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: mound (unallocated to other category)

Location: Kells

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Dee and Glenkens

Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire


The monument comprises the derelict harled remains of the 16th- and 17th-century courtyard house of the Gordons of Lochinvar. The building was much altered in the 19th century and partially demolished around 1958. The site, a conical grassy knoll, was probably first artificially strengthened in the early medieval period.

The oldest surviving part of the house is the main portion of the 3-storey W range, the W front of which shows simply moulded window surrounds and gunloops while the E front is decorated with rope-moulded string courses. On the ground floor of the W range, 17th-century tunnel-vaulted stores with round shot holes survive in good condition. Projecting from the end of the E front in the inner angle with the S range stands a sizable octagonal stair tower; a large panel carved with an heraldic achievement is situated above the door. The S range dates largely from the 1840s in its present form although it incorporates re-used work of the early 17th century. The W range's S end was remodelled in 1879 and its N end was added to in 1908.

The area to be scheduled is nearly oval on plan with maximum dimensions of 130m N-S by 100m E-W to include the grassy mound, the substantial ruins and an area around them within which associated remains may be expected to survive, as marked in red on the accompanying map extract.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland


No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.