Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kilmichael, Old Parish Church south east of farm

A Scheduled Monument in South Kintyre, Argyll and Bute

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4446 / 55°26'40"N

Longitude: -5.6404 / 5°38'25"W

OS Eastings: 169854

OS Northings: 622772

OS Grid: NR698227

Mapcode National: IRL XD.X2KN

Mapcode Global: GBR DGGB.14S

Entry Name: Kilmichael, Old Parish Church SE of farm

Scheduled Date: 7 July 1975

Last Amended: 31 October 2000

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM3671

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Crosses and carved stones: tombstone; Ecclesiastical: church

Location: Campbeltown

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: South Kintyre

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Description

The monument consists of the site of the medieval parish church of Kilmichael and its burial ground, which is situated in the grounds of Kilmichael Farm and is bounded to the S by the A83. The monument was originally scheduled in 1975. However, an incorrect area was scheduled at that time. The rescheduling rectifies this error.

The church of Kilmichael was united with Kilkerran and Kilchousland in 1617, at which time it probably fell out of use as a place of worship. The church, referred to in 1508 as 'Ecclesia Sancti Michaelis', had been largely removed, apparently for building purposes, by the end of the 18th century but the foundations of a rectangular building were still visible about 1873.

The site now survives as an amorphous undulating platform about 8m E-W by 5m. A small number of earthfast stones protruding through the turf are possibly wall-facing stones. Two undated grave slabs lie on the site. A further two can be seen protruding through the turf a few metres to the west. A 15th century slab from the churchyard, thought to belong to the Kintyre School, is now in Campbeltown Museum and burials appear to have taken place until the late 18th or early 19th centuries.

The area to be scheduled includes the site of the church itself and an area around it, in which associated remains can be expected to be found. The area has approximate maximum dimensions of 50m from its northernmost point to its southernmost, and 60m from its westernmost to its easternmost points, as marked in red on the attached map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.