Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tigh nan Cailleachan Dubha,settlement,Mealista

A Scheduled Monument in Sgir'Uige agus Ceann a Tuath nan Loch, Na h-Eileanan Siar

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 58.1031 / 58°6'11"N

Longitude: -7.1102 / 7°6'36"W

OS Eastings: 99073

OS Northings: 924085

OS Grid: NA990240

Mapcode National: GBR 87V9.L1Q

Mapcode Global: WGW0X.RLCG

Entry Name: Tigh nan Cailleachan Dubha,settlement,Mealista

Scheduled Date: 6 August 1993

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5712

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: nunnery; Secular: enclosure

Location: Uig

County: Na h-Eileanan Siar

Electoral Ward: Sgir'Uige agus Ceann a Tuath nan Loch

Traditional County: Ross-shire

Description

The monument consists of the remains of a medieval

settlement, reputedly a nunnery.

The site is called "Tigh nan Cailleachan Dubha" translates as "The

House of the Black Women." There is no documentary evidence of an

order of nuns in Mealista but local tradition persists in saying that this is the site of a nunnery. The absence of medieval documentation

may indicate that this is a site of early medieval date.

The settlement remains comprise the footings of several rectangular stone and turf buildings situated in close proximity. The buildings

are generally orientated N-S. Their measurements range from 7m by 3m

to 15m by 8m. Some are contiguous or L-shaped. One building close to

the shore facing E has been rebuilt, its E wall cobbled together with pebbles from the shore. This structure lies within larger rectangular footings. The site covers over a hectare. The monument has probably

been subject to phases of re-use. Some of the foundations have been incorporated in modern dry-stone sheep pens. To the NE of the

buildings is an oval field enclosure which may be of later date.

The area to be scheduled is irregular measuring a maximum of 140m N-S

by 100m E-W to include the settlement and field enclosure as shown in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.